Pre 1933 Uniforms

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pre 1933 Uniforms

Post  PWalk on Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:39 pm

Awesome site here gentlemen. I've been trolling uniwatch for years and very rarely comment over there. But this site is special. I'm currently in the middle of researching the extreme early days of the NFL with a focus on the uniforms. Specifically right now trying to lock down the Frankford Yellow Jackets, the pre-Eagles/ Philadelphia area team and their jerseys. In the process I've been turning up info on other teams like the Dayton Triangles, Pottsville Maroons, etc... that I'd love to share with you guys. I'm terrible at graphics but can give descriptions based on what I've found. If you interested just let me know.

Keep up the good work.

PWalk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pre 1933 Uniforms

Post  Bill Schaefer on Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:14 pm

That sounds great, PWalk. I think that right now we'd like to lock down as much of the post-1933 era first. With the grand opening comes the inevitable avalanche of stuff to fix. I think when Tim gets around to reading your post, I'm sure he'll want to have several discussions on your topic. The best thing you can do is keep on doing what you're doing. We've encountered a bit of pre-33 stuff in our digging as well but I don't know if it duplicates anything you already have. It's not much but, if you go to the "ABOUT" link on the home page, you can email me your address directly and I can send you what I have accumulated from that time period. I scratch your back and you can scratch ours when you are further along. In order for me to make graphic representations, I would need as complete descriptions as possible on most of the 14 topics listed in our "ABOUT THE TEMPLATE." Good Luck and let me know what we can do for you on our end.
Bill Schaefer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PWalk on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:35 am

Will do, let me get everything into a spreadsheet of sorts along with assorted images I have and I will shoot them over. I'm in the middle of trying to get clearance in Canton to view some collections currently not on display. As soon as I hear something I will post it up.

PWalk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  flanker1518 on Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:16 pm

What a great site! I make customs for a hobby and I am wanting to do many of the old leather helmet players. I have many ref books, but it is hard to find good pictures of the early uniforms. I really want to make a Canton Bulldog Jim Thorpe. I have found a color photo, but I can't find anything that shows if they had numbers on the back of the uniforms. If they did, what was Jim's number. If anyone could help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, Mark
flanker1518

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  LarryB on Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:34 am

flanker, nice job on Marion Motley. How can I see your other work? Not many customizers do old school players.

Good question about Jim Thorpe's number if he had one for Canton. I bought a great book, The Sunday Game by Keith McClellan. You and others probably are aware of it. I looked quickly and did not see numbers listed for Canton. I am from Youngstown area and long ago there was the Youngstown Patricians. They have about them in this book too.

Sometimes it is hard to see players numbers on the back. I am sure you have checked out as many photos of Thorpe as you can. Also I know from being a college fan that players often changed numbers if they had them.

LarryB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  flanker1518 on Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:53 pm

LarryB
If you sent me a pm, I can't read it. Here's the message I get when I click on my messages.

"Private messaging has been disabled on this board."

Mark

flanker1518

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:57 pm

okay -it's fixed now -- I was just messing around with the settings on the board. PMs should be enabled again.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://gridironuniforms.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  flanker1518 on Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:58 pm

turned on my messages............got your message
flanker1518

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Schaefer on Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:52 pm

flanker1518,
I dont know off-hand if this is a CB photo or not (or even where I got it from) but I've been keeping a folder of pre-1933 photo for when we do go to work on that era. Maybe this would help?

Makes sense for that to be his number doesn't it?
Bill
Bill Schaefer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  flanker1518 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:03 pm

Bill Schaefer wrote:flanker1518,
I dont know off-hand if this is a CB photo or not (or even where I got it from) but I've been keeping a folder of pre-1933 photo for when we do go to work on that era. Maybe this would help?

Makes sense for that to be his number doesn't it?
Bill

Thanks Bill. Yes it does make sense that he's #1. I chose the the uni, in my photo, because I have found a colored version of it. The Hall of Fame football cards, Goal Line Art, are a great source for the colors of older uni's.
flanker1518

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BogAl on Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:37 pm

That picture is from the Rock Island Independents, either 1924 or 1925 (Thorpe's seasons with the team).

BogAl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Jim Thorpe # 20

Post  LarryB on Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:52 pm

The caption says this was Jim Thorpe # 20 making the tackle.
Canton Bulldog's Jim Thorpe (20) shown bringing down one of the Buffalo's players. The score was Canton Bulldogs-7, Buffalo-3 at the Polo Grounds.

http://www.corbisimages.com/stock-photo/rights-managed/U128559INP/jim-thorpe-tackling-player

LarryB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  flanker1518 on Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:50 pm

LarryB wrote:The caption says this was Jim Thorpe # 20 making the tackle.
Canton Bulldog's Jim Thorpe (20) shown bringing down one of the Buffalo's players. The score was Canton Bulldogs-7, Buffalo-3 at the Polo Grounds.

http://www.corbisimages.com/stock-photo/rights-managed/U128559INP/jim-thorpe-tackling-player

LarryB, this is awesome! I have not been by this site in a long time. Thanks for finding this photo and thanks for sharing. I have not made many customs lately, but this might get me going again.
flanker1518

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Another Thorpe photo for you

Post  Bill Schaefer on Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:25 am

Thorpe with the Giants - year unknown. He looks to be wearing 21.
Bill Schaefer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bigbluelarry on Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:27 am

It's 1925, his only year with the Giants. He lasted just two games before he was released.

bigbluelarry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top