Eagles 1930's uniforms- black or green?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Eagles 1930's uniforms- black or green?

Post  garfath19 on Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:38 pm

I notice that you've coloured the Eagles jerseys for 1936 thru 1940 as green, when previously on the old databse you had them as possibly black. They do look to be very dark in B&W photos I've seen. Did you find something that convinced you that they were actually green, not black or grey?

garfath19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Eagles 1930's uniforms- black or green?

Post  timmyb on Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:46 pm

I re-reviewed the Philly papers (Inquirer, Bulletin and to some extent, the Record) from 1935-1940. Not just the photos, but the game write-ups. In 1935, the yellow was clearly gone, but the jerseys and socks changed to white. Thus the unis stayed light blue, but with a white helmet and pants. Starting in 1936 and continuing thru 1940, the jerseys were noticeably darker. On my original research, it was thought by me that they were black. As I read several write-ups, the dark jerseys were described as "green" "lush green", etc. Obviously, the colors were not described in every report, but with no change to the tone in these years, it does appear pretty certain and I do feel pretty confident that the Eagles wore green and white from 1936 thru 1940.

Further research indicated that the Eagles wore a combination of black, "midnight" blue and a "light" silver for 1941. This was found in an August edition of the 1941 Philadelphia Record, which was documented in a GUD blog.

As we often say, the GUD is a database that is always under construction! Very Happy

timmyb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  garfath19 on Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:52 pm

That's awesome - both the quick response and the research. That's the first solid evidence I've heard that confirms the start of the green uniform era. I remember reading a quote from Bell saying that he chose Kelly green as the uniform colour because he was of Irish descent. Though it sounds and looks like the original green may have been a bit darker. Also I knew they wore grey and white in '41 because years ago I came across a Redskins program cover from Dec 7, 1941. It was part of a Pearl Harbor Exibit but clearly showed the Redskins and Eagles playing with the Birds wearing white jerseys with grey sleeve panels. I remember being surprised to see the Eagles in those colours.

Finally an anecodote. We had a distant relative who played for the Eagles in the 40's - Bert Kucynzki. I met him one time back in the late 70's and told him I was an Eagles fan. He had a lot of funny stories about playing for the Eagles. But the one I remember was that he was friends with one of the guys who played on the team in the 30's - I don't remember his name. But anyway, he said that Bert Bell was so, how shall I put it - frugal, that he ordered his uniforms from this penny anny company that offered him a really cheap price for new duds. Bell wanted to switch from the colours of the City flag to straight blue and white. He decided to get rid of the yellow because people were saying the Eagles looked like sissies (and played like them). So the new season rolls around and the new white helmets arrive but no uniforms. They're late. So they played the first part of the season with the uniforms from the previous year - all beaten up with patches on them. Not sure if it was just pre-season games or regular season games too. And I see on the uniform graphics from 1935 that you have both sets of uniforms. So there you go - for what it's worth. I have no proof of any of it of course - just another bit of lore.

garfath19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top