The Gridiron Uniform Database Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Orleans Saints Mixed Number Fonts

Go down

New Orleans Saints Mixed Number Fonts Empty New Orleans Saints Mixed Number Fonts

Post  Bluesky Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:41 am

The '67 Saints graphic only shows one number font, however the Saints used two different fonts in at least 1967. In some cases, the same player wore each in different games, and different player in the same game had different fonts.

The first shot below is Jim Taylor and appears to be preseason (it's nighttime, and note white-striped "night" ball) and that looks like the hated Falcons on the far sideline.

New Orleans Saints Mixed Number Fonts Taylor_Jim_cropped2_Saints

And according to this doubloon (now THERE'S scientific evidence!) they did play Atlanta in the '67 preseason (note word 'preseason' right below the player).

New Orleans Saints Mixed Number Fonts !B74yIlw!Wk~$(KGrHqQOKp!Ey+jCytzdBM1iW8yvLw~~0_35

The pic below, apparently from the 01Oct67 game at Tulane Stadium, tells the whole story: Taylor now has the block font (and a different facemask too) while #67 in the background has the more narrow font, the name of which I don't know. Note #67's helmet stripe as well; the center white portion seems much wider than normal.

New Orleans Saints Mixed Number Fonts Norb_Taylor

Here's Taylor in the black jersey with narrow font:

New Orleans Saints Mixed Number Fonts Taylor_1967

Can't post the image but here's a link to

New Orleans Saints Mixed Number Fonts Taylorhofjersey

Taylor's black '67 jersey in the HOF. I'm unable to locate a pic of Taylor or any other Saint in the black jersey with the block font in 1967 or '68, so perhaps the black jersey only had the narrow font until 1969.

Note- though the '67 graphic was my original focus, I kinda got caught up in their comedy of inconsistency so here's more for whoever might be interested.

Here's the narrow font on both sets in '68; in first shot, note whi/blk/whi helmet and pants stripes only worn in '68 (and mixed pants stripes - someone's new pants must have been at the cleaners). Second shot is Dave Whitsell's punt block for a TD in the 22Sep68 home game vs. Washington. Can't find anything further on 1968 so I'm unsure whether the block font appeared on either set.

New Orleans Saints Mixed Number Fonts Pq70kilmerNew Orleans Saints Mixed Number Fonts Block

Oddly, the file name on that pic says Kilmer but #14 is Edd Hargett.

I don't believe they wore the block font on the black jerseys until '69, at which point they appear to have eliminated the narrow font entirely. This looks like the 30Nov69 home game vs. the Eagles (Tulane Stadium hedges in background):

New Orleans Saints Mixed Number Fonts 8299404-large

Here's the white set in '69 (note 50th anniversary patch worn only that season). This is from 16Nov69 @ the Giants:

New Orleans Saints Mixed Number Fonts 4331050557_716fccca78_o

They also wore these in '69...

New Orleans Saints Mixed Number Fonts 4377723

If there's ever been a team with more consistent inconsistency in three seasons' time I'd sure like to hear about it. And don't get me started on the sleeve stripes... Surprised

Last edited by Bluesky on Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:59 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added HOF picture)

Bluesky

Back to top Go down