The Broncos lost uniform

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Broncos lost uniform

Post  boblarryj on Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:28 pm

Some time ago, John Elway appeared in an awesome commercial for the NBC show Heroes:

In the commercial you'll notice John Elway is wearing his NFL, 75th anniversary, throwback jersey...but he's wearing an out of era helmet with the "D-logo" for that jersey. I'm not sure how that helmet-jersey combination came about for the commercial. I'm guessing a production error. I remember thinking, great commercial...but how did they screw up the uniform so bad?? I've been a Broncos fan ALL my life and I KNOW the Broncos never wore that helmet-jersey combo.

Until...

I spotted and bought a book by the Broncos former, official photographer Dick Burnell, Barely Audible: A history of the Denver Broncos (awful title).

The photo on book cover is what appears to be the exact helmet-jersey combo as the Elway commercial. It appears to be #40-FB Ron Lamb running the Ball against the San Francisco 49ers. I'm guessing the year is 1968 during a pre-season game. I love this picture. The 1965-66 jersey is without doubt my ALL-TIME favorite Broncos jersey. Does anybody have any photos or information about how this Broncos uniform combination came to be??

Another photo of the Broncos from the 1968 pre-season

boblarryj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Broncos lost uniform

Post  timmyb on Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:13 pm

Well now, this is crazy stuff, boblarryj!

So then, the Broncos were wearing 1968 helmets against the 49ers with 1966 orange jerseys?? AND, the Bengals were wearing separated sleeve stripes in the 1968 preseason, too??

Awesome find!

timmyb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Broncos AND Bengals!

Post  Bill Schaefer on Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:59 pm

This won't be hard to add into "Denver 1968" but I do have a question. Do you think this combo was worn in 1968 NNOB?

The book cover is very blurry (by design) but the player in front of Lamb with his back turned clearly has NNOB. Could it have been 'photoshopped' back in 1968 and 'smudged out' to give it a generic look?

Too bad the newspaper photo shows no backs of Denver players.

Tim, 2 things about the Bengals...
1) Notice their pants? We have 1968-1974 with the wide center orange stripe and these are clearly the equal sized B-O-B that we don't include until 1975. How do we handle it?
2) Only include the white seperated version? We don't as yet have proof of the black seperated version being worn, right?
Bill Schaefer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WD1983 on Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:02 pm

Interesting, I've seen the book cover before though.

This gives me more to look for when I go down to the Denver library to look up old newspapers regarding photos from various eras.

WD1983

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WD1983 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:48 am

I simply wanted to point out that you didn't change the 1967 preseason jerseys. Their collars should be white and blue respectively. I would like to mention that when you do the 1968 preseason jerseys, they should be the same as 1965-66 & 1967 Preseason.

WD1983

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  darkhaha on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:02 am

Bill Schaefer wrote:This won't be hard to add into "Denver 1968" but I do have a question. Do you think this combo was worn in 1968 NNOB?

The book cover is very blurry (by design) but the player in front of Lamb with his back turned clearly has NNOB. Could it have been 'photoshopped' back in 1968 and 'smudged out' to give it a generic look?

I don't know if this has already been pointed out, but back in those days they didn't put the names on the jerseys until the regular season. So yes, this combo would ONLY have been worn NNOB, as it was only worn during the pre-season. Still a mystery to me as to why they wouldn't have just used the '67 jerseys. Of course, the Broncos were still known for being pretty cheap at the time; they might have been saving the '67 jerseys for re-use in '68!

darkhaha

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top