The Gridiron Uniform Database Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just A "Little" Side Project

2 posters

Go down

Just A "Little" Side Project Empty Just A "Little" Side Project

Post  sfcom1 Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:20 am

Over the winter I submitted a design to The Ohio State University as they were replacing the 8 year old Field Turf at "The Horseshoe!" Being a "HUGE" BIG 10 fan I submitted a professional design.
This is the design I submitted
Just A "Little" Side Project XLekp4vl

And as of a couple of days ago the contest ended. This was the final design (I cleaned it up a touch. Really bad texture).
Just A "Little" Side Project 4VxygxCl

Here is the Quote from Sports Illistrated about the new Turf!

QUOTE "The Buckeyes – who will play their 100th season in the historic venue this fall – received more than 1,300 submissions, with 59 percent of the designs featuring a Block “O” at midfield.

That part of the design will remain, though it will now feature a gray outer stroke instead of black, like it had been since Ohio State returned to a turf field in 2007 and remained when the Buckeyes installed the current surface in 2014.

Another common theme in the fan-submitted designs was the application of Buckeye Leaf decals, which have been placed at the 35-yard lines of the new turf to represent the kickoff location. These spots were previously marked by an “X” on the field.

Ohio State will continue to use scarlet end zones, which were represented in 46 percent of the submissions, but with an updated font that matches the athletic department’s official wordmarks. This font can already be seen on some uniforms and playing surfaces, such as the Buckeyes’ basketball court.

The north end zone will continue to display “OHIO STATE,” while the south end zone will still say “BUCKEYES.” Both wordmarks are white with a gray stroke, while the current turf had a black stroke.

The out-of-bounds area from the 20-yard line in and the back of the end zone are now gray, replicating the design from Ohio State’s recent Rose Bowl win over Utah. The back of the end zone also features the Buckeyes’ iconic hemet stripe, matching the width of the goal posts.

The design is complete with two smaller details, including dark green turf between the 45-yard lines that alternates light green every five yards thereafter, as well as yard-line numbers that match the block font on Ohio State’s football uniforms.

Installation of the new turf will begin in June. Such a project typically takes two months to be completed, which means it will be more than ready for the season opener against Notre Dame on Sept. 3.

The design – which was ultimately determined by an internal panel – will also replace the outdated indoor surface at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center. Installation of that turf will begin in April, meanwhile." END QUOTE

I think I did very well with the Presentation. There was no "Winner" per say, except a very good fieid design for Ohio State.

Last edited by sfcom1 on Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:28 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
sfcom1
sfcom1

Austin Snelick, Untitled0717 and 92Mafia like this post

Back to top Go down

Just A "Little" Side Project Empty Re: Just A "Little" Side Project

Post  Austin Snelick Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:34 am

sfcom1 wrote:Over the winter I submitted a design to The Ohio State University as they were replacing the 8 year old Field Turf at "The Horseshoe!" Being a "HUGE" BIG 10 fan I submitted a professional design.
This is the design I submitted
Just A "Little" Side Project XLekp4vl

And as of a couple of days ago the contest ended. This was the final design (I cleaned it up a touch. Really bad texture).
Just A "Little" Side Project 4VxygxCl

Here is the Quote from Sports Illistrated about the new Turf!

QUOTE "The Buckeyes – who will play their 100th season in the historic venue this fall – received more than 1,300 submissions, with 59 percent of the designs featuring a Block “O” at midfield.

That part of the design will remain, though it will now feature a gray outer stroke instead of black, like it had been since Ohio State returned to a turf field in 2007 and remained when the Buckeyes installed the current surface in 2014.

Another common theme in the fan-submitted designs was the application of Buckeye Leaf decals, which have been placed at the 35-yard lines of the new turf to represent the kickoff location. These spots were previously marked by an “X” on the field.

Ohio State will continue to use scarlet end zones, which were represented in 46 percent of the submissions, but with an updated font that matches the athletic department’s official wordmarks. This font can already be seen on some uniforms and playing surfaces, such as the Buckeyes’ basketball court.

The north end zone will continue to display “OHIO STATE,” while the south end zone will still say “BUCKEYES.” Both wordmarks are white with a gray stroke, while the current turf had a black stroke.

The out-of-bounds area from the 20-yard line in and the back of the end zone are now gray, replicating the design from Ohio State’s recent Rose Bowl win over Utah. The back of the end zone also features the Buckeyes’ iconic hemet stripe, matching the width of the goal posts.

The design is complete with two smaller details, including dark green turf between the 45-yard lines that alternates light green every five yards thereafter, as well as yard-line numbers that match the block font on Ohio State’s football uniforms.

Installation of the new turf will begin in June. Such a project typically takes two months to be completed, which means it will be more than ready for the season opener against Notre Dame on Sept. 3.

The design – which was ultimately determined by an internal panel – will also replace the outdated indoor surface at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center. Installation of that turf will begin in April, meanwhile." END QUOTE

I think I did very well with the Presentation. There was no "Winner" per say, except a very good fieid design for Ohio State.

Wish I would have known about this contest as it was going on. I would have put in an entry. Your entry is pretty close to the one they chose, and I think they made a good choice.
Austin Snelick
Austin Snelick

Back to top Go down

Post  sfcom1 Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:51 am

This is what Ohio Staduim's field looks like as of the end of the current NCAAF season. So not to much of a diffrence, but it will be brighter and fits the astetic they were looking for.

Just A "Little" Side Project K4MMSfI
sfcom1
sfcom1

Back to top Go down

Post  sfcom1 Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:58 am

And considering how "Bold and Vibrant!" the new field is at the their "Arch Rival"! lol

Just A "Little" Side Project X3uGVmNl

Just A "Little" Side Project AU08AaCl
sfcom1
sfcom1

Back to top Go down

Post  LukeToussaint Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:34 pm

Congrats!

LukeToussaint

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content