The Gridiron Uniform Database Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cardinals not allowed to wear white socks for a game or two

3 posters

Go down

cardinals not allowed to wear white socks for a game or two Empty cardinals not allowed to wear white socks for a game or two

Post  KG Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:15 pm

i recall somtime in the mids 80s the owner or coach of the ST Louis Cardinals would not allow the team to wear the white socks. so they had to wear just the red socks without the white socks that cover the bottom half for a game or two. I believe this lead the NFL to create a rule requiring white socks to be used. I don't see that image currently on the cardinals. can anyone provide the season and pix?
KG
KG

Back to top Go down

cardinals not allowed to wear white socks for a game or two Empty Re: cardinals not allowed to wear white socks for a game or two

Post  BD Sullivan Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:39 pm

smith03 wrote:
i recall somtime in the mids 80s the owner or coach of the ST Louis Cardinals would not allow the team to wear the white socks. so they had to wear just the red socks without the white socks that cover the bottom half for a game or two. I believe this lead the NFL to create a rule requiring white socks to be used. I don't see that image currently on the cardinals. can anyone provide the season and pix?

Looks like it was the 12/8/85 game against New Orleans. The NFL didn't create a new rule, they just enforced the existing one:

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/12/13/sports/sports-people-coming-and-goings.html

EDIT: Here's a photo from the game:

http://uspresswire.com/image/3691608

BD Sullivan

Back to top Go down

cardinals not allowed to wear white socks for a game or two Empty Re: cardinals not allowed to wear white socks for a game or two

Post  Bill Schaefer Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:50 am

Well, it turns out that the Saints game was the ONLY game for 'sock-gate.'

I looked up the week before as well as the two weeks after.

11/28/1985 @ Dallas - Thanksgiving Day
cardinals not allowed to wear white socks for a game or two 1985_110

12/15/1985 @ LA Rams
cardinals not allowed to wear white socks for a game or two 1985_111

12/21/1985 hosting Washington
cardinals not allowed to wear white socks for a game or two 1985_112

All instances seem to show either high white socks or massive white taping.
Only Week 14 vs New Orleans had the red-only socks.
Bill Schaefer
Bill Schaefer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down