The Gridiron Uniform Database Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1921 Cardinals

4 posters

Go down

1921 Cardinals Empty 1921 Cardinals

Post  KG Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:48 pm

I don't know but I thougt in 1921 they were stil the Racine Cardinals and not until 22 did they become the Chicago cardinals
KG
KG

Back to top Go down

1921 Cardinals Empty Re: 1921 Cardinals

Post  timmyb Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:38 am

There is some debate about this. We'll hopefully uncover this in the near future.

timmyb

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Holecko Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:20 am

I think the names were kind of "fluid".... Another one up for debate is the Akron Pros / Indians....When did they switch names? According to profootballarchives.com, Wikipedia, and probably other sources, as Bill told me, they were the Akron Pros through 1925 & became the Indians in 1926. But in the NFL Record & Fact book, the league has them listed as Indians in 1923. And as far as the Cardinals go, they had been the Racine Cardinals through 1919... clearly in 1920 some people, fans, newspaper accounts still called them the Racine Cardinals, especially if they were playing another Chicago team.... As you see from Tim & Bill's graphic, they still had the "R" on the sleeve jersey.... Historians and the PFRA and other researchers and fans looking through old newspapers and other accounts may find they were called differing names, but as far as the NFL is concerned, I'd say what they've been printing in the yearly record and fact book is whatever the league officially considers their name to be, even if contemporary newspaper accounts call them the "Racine Gridders" or some other descriptive diminutive..

I'm not saying the NFL Record & Fact book is infallible, just that it is the official source. Technically, there may not be an absolutely correct answer & the team may have officially been one thing, even if 99% of the people called them something else. I kinda tend to think all we can really go by is what the league officially considers them to have been, even if everyone called them the 'Racine Cardinals' in 1920 and the 'Akron Pros' in 1923, the official team name should be what matters..... But (not to speak for them) I think Tim & Bill may lean more towards going with the PFRA researchers...

We live in an era where the existence of an "official" name is taken for granted, i.e., the Phoenix Cardinals have a press conference and "major rebranding" to become the "Arizona Cardinals", but I think back in the 1920s it was probably more informal and so what the league considers to be official is probably the best bet, and to use anything else, I think would be presumptuous.

Then again, even ProFootballArchive.com agrees with the NFL & calls the Cardinals "Chicago" in 1920.

The Record & Fact book, in 1920 has the Chicago Cardinals & for 1923, the Akron Indians.

1921 Cardinals Record10

Just my 2 1/2 cents...
Rob Holecko
Rob Holecko

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Schaefer Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:20 pm

I'll throw another team into the mix.

While digging through the NY Times looking for photos from the 20s, I found quite a few references to the "Philadelphia Yellow Jackets." It seems towards the latter part of the decade the NY media frequently referred to the team as "Philadelphia" rather than "Frankford" - the neighborhood they began/played in and by which most football historians know the team.
Bill Schaefer
Bill Schaefer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down