The Gridiron Uniform Database Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Portland Samurais Revelation & Press Conferece

4 posters

Go down

Portland Samurais Revelation & Press Conferece Empty Portland Samurais Revelation & Press Conferece

Post  Rafael Menoncin Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:45 pm

after various rumors and speculation, GSL officially announced the relocation of The Dallas Diesel, franchise that will now be known as the Portland Samurais, to celebrate the move a party accompanied by a press conference was held inside Providence Park.

Franchise owner Rafael Menoncin answered several questions involving the relocation and the future of the team.

When asked why the team left Dallas, theoretically a bigger market for Portland, Menoncin replied sincerely:  "Dallas is the birthplace of our team and will always be marked in our history, but in the last year we found several reasons to leave, one of them was the difficulty of selling tickets and building a fan base, Dallas already have great franchises, this added to the competitive market has made it difficult for us to build a solid fan base, i believe we are living the same tale that Lamar Hunt and the Chiefs wrote in the 60s, a team that struggled with Dallas and saw a new, smaller market as an opportunity for a fresh new start for his team."

On choosing Portland, Menoncin highly praised the city and its fans, who he said were instrumental in the GSL landing in Oregon: "When we announced our intention to relocate, several cities came into contact, but Portland proved to be a different place, Oregon fans love sports and with football's it's no different, the state has two very traditional teams in College Football with fantastic fans, the city of Portland also has incredible fans, just watch the Portland Timbers games on the MLS, the atmosphere in the stadium is impressive and all the Timbers games at Providence Park are sold out since 2011, Portland is a city that is hungry for professional sports just see the success of the MLS and the NBA here, Portland fans + Oregon's passion for football has what it takes to be the recipe for success for our franchise"

Menoncin also spoke about the problems his team faced on the field in 2021, and he assured that he is working to solve these headaches: "Last season we put together an excellent offense, but we left a lot to be desired in the defense, one of the first measures we will take will be hire a new defensive coordinator and focus draft picks on Players who can help build a solid defense, we should also sign free agents and finally I would like to announce that we are open to trade some of our offensive weapons in exchange for some defensive titans"

The press conference concluded with the unveiling of the team's new helmet, which was highly praised for incorporating elements from the helmets worn by the real Samurais in ancient Japan 
 Portland Samurais Revelation & Press Conferece 7_sem_10
 Portland Samurais Revelation & Press Conferece 8_sem_11

Last edited by Rafael Menoncin on Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rafael Menoncin
Rafael Menoncin

Rob Holecko, 92Mafia and sfcom1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Portland Samurais Revelation & Press Conferece Empty Re: Portland Samurais Revelation & Press Conferece

Post  Austin Snelick Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:26 pm

I'm a fan of the name change and location, colors/wordmark, etc.

I just want to put this out there before people start posting team design updates, but the offseason does not start until August 8th, and I'm trying to keep everything organized here beforehand.
I haven't approved any designs here yet, because of that, but also because there may be some copyright issues with the logo. Looks like rights to this particular image need to be purchased for use.

This leads into a question for you all out there, as I know Rafael isn't as much into the logo design process as others in the league, but is anyone willing to work with Rafael and I to come up with a Samurais logo that won't violate any copyright, that would be greatly appreciated (you can email me to start things off).
Austin Snelick
Austin Snelick

Rafael Menoncin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Portland Samurais Revelation & Press Conferece Empty Re: Portland Samurais Revelation & Press Conferece

Post  Rafael Menoncin Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:51 pm

Austin Snelick wrote:I'm a fan of the name change and location, colors/wordmark, etc.

I just want to put this out there before people start posting team design updates, but the offseason does not start until August 8th, and I'm trying to keep everything organized here beforehand.
I haven't approved any designs here yet, because of that, but also because there may be some copyright issues with the logo. Looks like rights to this particular image need to be purchased for use.

This leads into a question for you all out there, as I know Rafael isn't as much into the logo design process as others in the league, but is anyone willing to work with Rafael and I to come up with a Samurais logo that won't violate any copyright, that would be greatly appreciated (you can email me to start things off).
Sounds good to me, let's try to work on an original logo during this offseason, in the meantime I can use the helmet (which is 100% my design) as a temporary logo
Rafael Menoncin
Rafael Menoncin

Austin Snelick, 92Mafia and Rafael Menoncin like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Austin Snelick Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:27 pm

Rafael Menoncin wrote:
Austin Snelick wrote:I'm a fan of the name change and location, colors/wordmark, etc.

Sounds good to me, let's try to work on an original logo during this offseason, in the meantime I can use the helmet (which is 100% my design) as a temporary logo

Thanks. I'm going to email you about some thoughts on getting a logo together. The helmet is great by the way, it'll be a good placeholder for the time being. Good news is, there's 5 months until I need a logo, so plenty of time.
Austin Snelick
Austin Snelick

sfcom1 and Rafael Menoncin like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sfcom1 Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:12 pm

Austin Snelick wrote:
Rafael Menoncin wrote:

Thanks. I'm going to email you about some thoughts on getting a logo together. The helmet is great by the way, it'll be a good placeholder for the time being. Good news is, there's 5 months until I need a logo, so plenty of time.

I am willing to help out too! I have some Ideas That might work.

John
sfcom1
sfcom1

Ethan Guevara and Rafael Menoncin like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Austin Snelick Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:06 am

sfcom1 wrote:
Austin Snelick wrote:
Rafael Menoncin wrote:

I am willing to help out too! I have some Ideas That might work.

John

Thanks! I'll keep you in the loop. I've got one logo that's a possibility. I made several edits to the original logo that would constitute fair use, that also plays into the helmet logo.

Portland Samurais Revelation & Press Conferece Ki6Zz4S
Austin Snelick
Austin Snelick

NeauXone, sfcom1, Rafael Menoncin and Drew Abernathy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sfcom1 Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:09 am

I like that. I was thinking a similar idea. But I was also visualizing crossed Samuri Swords. Katana and Wakusaki. Different in orintation than Buffalo's crossed Sabres, but I do not that up yet. As I am headed off to my first HS Football officias meeting. But I will have it by tonight!

John
sfcom1
sfcom1

NeauXone and Rafael Menoncin like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Austin Snelick Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:15 pm

sfcom1 wrote:I like that. I was thinking a similar idea. But I was also visualizing crossed Samuri Swords. Katana and Wakusaki. Different in orintation than Buffalo's crossed Sabres, but I do not that up yet. As I am headed off to my first HS Football officias meeting. But I will have it by tonight!

John

Go for it. At the very least, having two logos wouldn't be bad either; one primary, one secondary
Austin Snelick
Austin Snelick

Back to top Go down

Post  Rafael Menoncin Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:27 pm

sfcom1 wrote:I like that. I was thinking a similar idea. But I was also visualizing crossed Samuri Swords. Katana and Wakusaki. Different in orintation than Buffalo's crossed Sabres, but I do not that up yet. As I am headed off to my first HS Football officias meeting. But I will have it by tonight!

John
I liked your idea, it can help a lot in the development of the logo, We have a few months to work on this so there's no need to rush!
Rafael Menoncin
Rafael Menoncin

Austin Snelick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Austin Snelick Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:09 pm

Rafael Menoncin wrote:

John
I liked your idea, it can help a lot in the development of the logo, We have a few months to work on this so there's no need to rush!

Sounds like a plan. I'll use the helmet logo in the meantime when needed.
Austin Snelick
Austin Snelick

Rafael Menoncin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Drew Abernathy Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:18 pm

My gosh, this is amazing!!
Drew Abernathy
Drew Abernathy

Austin Snelick and Rafael Menoncin like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Austin Snelick Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:20 am

John

Hey, just wanted to see if you stilled planned on working on a logo
Austin Snelick
Austin Snelick

Back to top Go down

Post  sfcom1 Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:16 pm

Actually I got super busy with. Real life this weekend. And now I am 10 days from the start of my High School season. So I going to back off a bit. But still here.
sfcom1
sfcom1

Austin Snelick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Austin Snelick Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:45 pm

sfcom1 wrote:Actually I got super busy with. Real life this weekend. And now I am 10 days from the start of my High School season. So I going to back off a bit. But still here.

Cool, thanks for the update.
Austin Snelick
Austin Snelick

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down