San Francisco 1949

View previous topic View next topic Go down

San Francisco 1949

Post  bigbluelarry on Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:16 pm

I found this photo of the 49'ers and Baltimore Colts from 1949 - I don't know the exact date, it's either 8/28 @ San Francisco or 11/6 @ Baltimore.
The item to note is the 49'ers helmets do not have a red stripe, they are solid silver.

avatar
bigbluelarry

Posts : 423
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 49
Location : New Milford, CT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: San Francisco 1949

Post  Bill Schaefer on Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:35 am

I'm thinking this must be preseason.
Every Niners photo I have (including the 11/6 game) from 1949 shows helmet stripes.
10/9/49 vs CLE


10/23/49 @ NYY


10/30/49 @ CLE


11/6/49 @ BALT


12/4/49 vs NYY
avatar
Bill Schaefer

Posts : 1243
Join date : 2011-06-11
Age : 45
Location : Bradenton, FL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: San Francisco 1949

Post  timmyb on Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:59 pm

Larry, I would strongly think the pic is mis-dated. Game is likely from 1950, when both teams were now in the NFL. Here's two key reasons why I firmly believe this is 1950 instead of 1949:

1) Niners dropped their helmet stripe when they joined the NFL in 1950.

2) Note the referee in the pic. AAC officials wore 1" stripes (like college refs used to) on their shirts. This is definitely an NFL official as the shirt stripes are much thicker.

I would say this photo is likely from 10/29/50 at Kezar Stadium. USF (the Dons) also used Kezar and you can see both the pro goalposts and college goalposts in the end zone.

timmyb

Posts : 138
Join date : 2011-06-10
Age : 59
Location : Enola, PA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

just wondering

Post  KG on Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:18 pm

did the AAFC have the goal post on the goal line like the NFL or the end line like college?
avatar
KG

Posts : 576
Join date : 2011-06-14
Location : Minnesota

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: San Francisco 1949

Post  bigbluelarry on Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:24 pm

timmyb wrote:Larry, I would strongly think the pic is mis-dated. Game is likely from 1950, when both teams were now in the NFL. Here's two key reasons why I firmly believe this is 1950 instead of 1949:

1) Niners dropped their helmet stripe when they joined the NFL in 1950.

2) Note the referee in the pic. AAC officials wore 1" stripes (like college refs used to) on their shirts. This is definitely an NFL official as the shirt stripes are much thicker.

I would say this photo is likely from 10/29/50 at Kezar Stadium. USF (the Dons) also used Kezar and you can see both the pro goalposts and college goalposts in the end zone.

Deep bow to the master.

 Very Happy 
avatar
bigbluelarry

Posts : 423
Join date : 2011-06-12
Age : 49
Location : New Milford, CT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: San Francisco 1949

Post  timmyb on Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:40 pm

smith03 wrote:did the AAFC have the goal post on the goal line like the NFL or the end line like college?

It was on the goal line like the NFL.

timmyb

Posts : 138
Join date : 2011-06-10
Age : 59
Location : Enola, PA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: San Francisco 1949

Post  BD Sullivan on Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:09 pm

bigbluelarry wrote:
timmyb wrote:Larry, I would strongly think the pic is mis-dated. Game is likely from 1950, when both teams were now in the NFL. Here's two key reasons why I firmly believe this is 1950 instead of 1949:

1) Niners dropped their helmet stripe when they joined the NFL in 1950.

2) Note the referee in the pic. AAC officials wore 1" stripes (like college refs used to) on their shirts. This is definitely an NFL official as the shirt stripes are much thicker.

I would say this photo is likely from 10/29/50 at Kezar Stadium. USF (the Dons) also used Kezar and you can see both the pro goalposts and college goalposts in the end zone.

Deep bow to the master.

 Very Happy 


I'll also concur that it's 1950, I can say with absolute certainty that it's being played in Kezar, without even looking at the uniforms.

BD Sullivan

Posts : 212
Join date : 2011-06-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: San Francisco 1949

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum