The Gridiron Uniform Database Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2021 GSL All-Star Game

3 posters

Go down

2021 GSL All-Star Game Empty 2021 GSL All-Star Game

Post  Austin Snelick Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:59 pm

Splitting out the All-Star Game discussion. This thread will be for all things 2021 GSL All-Star Game.

Austin Snelick wrote:
NeauXone wrote:
Austin Snelick wrote:
Ethanpancakes wrote:Are we going to have our own pro bowl: East vs West?

That will be a possibility. I think the game would have to be set between the conference championships, and the Gridiron Bowl. I'd have to figure out what I'd need to do for code changes and other logistics.
My idea: add up the point totals for each team into a total for each conference. Whichever conference has the most points scored total gets the higher rating on the scoring scale while the other conference gets a lower rating (ex. East scores more points, gets a rating of 6 while the West gets a 5 or 4), and the same could be done for the defensive side.

That might be a good way to do it. My initial plan would be, based on the team rankings for each team in each conference, but weight how each team effects the offensive and defensive rankings. So, typically, the best teams in the NFL send the most players to the pro bowl. So, for the GSL All-Star Game, maybe, the best two teams in each conference send 5 "players", and that teams offensive and defensive rank would get counted five times towards a total. The worst teams may only send one player to the al star game, so their team rankings would only count once towards the total. Once I have all the rankings for a 53 man roster, I just divide by 53, and round to the nearest whole number, to give the conference all star team it's ranking.

Say, the best team has offensive and defensive rankings of 6 and 4. A bad team has offense and defensive rankings of 1 and 3. Excluding the other teams, just for a math demonstration, I'd get the conference team rankings by doing:
Offense = ((6x5)+(1x1)) / 6 = 31/6 = 5.1667, so offense = 5
Defense = ((4x5)+(2x1)) / 6 = 22/6 = 3.6667, so defense = 4
These numbers seem low, but with more players weighting the higher rankings for the better teams, and some of the worst teams getting 0 all-stars, the rankings for each conference will be 5's and 6's I assume.

For the All-Star game, I'd like to hold it at the same site as the Gridiron Bowl, in the week between the Conference Championships, and the Gridiron Bowl, and have the uniforms follow the color scheme of the Gridiron Bowl logo.

In my head, and not formally, I had already decided on who will be designing the uniforms for this first All-Star Game, but I may change that to be based on the outcomes of the season. I'm not sure when I'll make a decision on that, but I might just let the season play out a little bit first.
Austin Snelick
Austin Snelick

Back to top Go down

2021 GSL All-Star Game Empty Re: 2021 GSL All-Star Game

Post  Austin Snelick Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:03 pm

I put together some logos for the 2021 GSL All-Star Game.

The game is in New Orleans, set for the Saturday before the Gridiron Bowl.

On a white background:
2021 GSL All-Star Game GHq6hKk

On a color background:
2021 GSL All-Star Game HBjo0x4
Austin Snelick
Austin Snelick

Back to top Go down

Post  NeauXone Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:30 pm

Regarding the All Star Game's uniforms, I've had this idea forever and experimented with it using the Pro Bowl. For the uniforms, instead of a unique design, they would just be each team's regular uniforms, with the colors changed to match their respective conferences or the all star colors. I'll whip up a quick demo to show you what I mean.
NeauXone
NeauXone

Back to top Go down

Post  NeauXone Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:29 pm

2021 GSL All-Star Game West10
2021 GSL All-Star Game East10
This is a quick mockup of what I was talking about. I left the helmets as the normal team colors to be more like the NFL's Pro Bowl. I tried to do the same with the ASG colors, but the colors are kinda hard to work with to create two contrasting uniforms.
NeauXone
NeauXone

Back to top Go down

Post  Ethan Guevara Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:52 pm

That’s pretty good. I think for the teams, who have the best record but didn’t make the playoffs, would get their uniform in a pro bowl design. Unless if you meant we all use ours together
Ethan Guevara
Ethan Guevara

Back to top Go down

Post  Austin Snelick Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:07 am

NeauXone wrote:2021 GSL All-Star Game West10
2021 GSL All-Star Game East10
This is a quick mockup of what I was talking about. I left the helmets as the normal team colors to be more like the NFL's Pro Bowl. I tried to do the same with the ASG colors, but the colors are kinda hard to work with to create two contrasting uniforms.

I do like this as an idea, and I think it would be great if the NFL did something like this.

The biggest issue in doing this for the GSL, is that there's no way to display the uniforms based on every team, since only one uniform is shown per matchup. (I think my understanding, is that, each player on each all-star team would be wearing their own teams uniform design, but in the colors of their conference). So this could work, if the conference uniforms were only based on one team in each conference, for example, the two teams playing in the Gridiron Bowl the following week would be the base design for the conference uniforms.

My first idea with the logo and uniforms for the game, would be to follow the color scheme of the Gridiron Bowl logo, and have the All-Star game take place in the same city as the Gridiron Bowl. I was thinking the uniforms would be a unique design each year, also using the colors in the Gridiron Bowl logo. The home team would use the darker colors for their jersey, and the away team would use a lighter color, or white if no good color vs color matchup was available.

Good thing is, we've got months to come up with some good ideas.
Austin Snelick
Austin Snelick

Back to top Go down

2021 GSL All-Star Game Empty all star game

Post  gregseher Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:42 am

I think having two people design them is problematic, especially if you want them to be the same, simply with different colors. Perhaps the best way to do it is the previous year's champion gets to design the whole thing.

gregseher

Back to top Go down

Post  Austin Snelick Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:27 am

gregseher wrote:I think having two people design them is problematic, especially if you want them to be the same, simply with different colors. Perhaps the best way to do it is the previous year's champion gets to design the whole thing.

Well, they don't necessarily have to be the same jersey style. I do like the idea of last year's champion being given the option to create the uniforms.

For this year, I do have a short list of people I would choose to create the uniforms, which I know isn't random, and may not come off as fair, but I have good reasoning for my list. For transparencies sake, the people on my short list, are on it because they would make less work for me. There were maybe 3 or 4 teams who gave me their team's initial uniforms at the correct resolution, and met all the uniform requirements the first time, to the point where I just had to upload the images, as opposed to transferring the images onto the templates, and re-create all the uniforms myself, and add things like the TV numbers. So I'd choose from the pool of people who would just allow me to take the uniform images, and upload them. And this is only because I don't know how much time I'll have working on the GSL when the baby arrives. But I haven't made any final decisions on the All-Star game uniforms yet, and who will make them (I just know I will not make the uniforms, that'll be one of you all). I probably won't make any of these decisions until at least April, when I know my time constraints. Plus, two uniforms isn't too bad to re-create, if I have to, and I'd probably have time here and there to get a little done at a time if I need to. So we'll see. Officially, the uniform designer for the All-Star game is still open to everyone, I just have to figure out the best way to decide who designs them for this year.
Austin Snelick
Austin Snelick

Back to top Go down

Post  NeauXone Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:57 am

I was thinking for the red/blue ASG template, each uniform file could use a gif that cycles between each team uniform from each conference, like the way it does when Washington wears the white socks with the alternate stripe pattern. But I remember it being said that .gifs take up a lot of space on the site so that might not work.
NeauXone
NeauXone

Back to top Go down

Post  gregseher Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:19 pm

I'd be happy to assist in reformatting uniforms into the correct template if it helps with anyone's time constraints.

gregseher

Back to top Go down

Post  Austin Snelick Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:42 pm

NeauXone wrote:I was thinking for the red/blue ASG template, each uniform file could use a gif that cycles between each team uniform from each conference, like the way it does when Washington wears the white socks with the alternate stripe pattern. But I remember it being said that .gifs take up a lot of space on the site so that might not work.

That was my first thought, but yes, it does cause an issue. For the first month of the 2020 season, we had almost all team uniforms as gifs, with different sock lengths, the way players wear them. But this caused us massive bandwidth issues, and we exceeded our monthly limit, and it cost us a good bit of money, even with a reduced fee on the overages. So I'm afraid to even attempt something like that every again. I do really like the idea in theory though. There could be another way to implement it, but it would involve some code work. The normal displayed image for the game could be the converted uniforms of the teams in the Gridiron Bowl. Below the typical game graphics, I could include a single image, that has all team uniforms side by side, in their All-Star colors. I don't think this would be too much coding work, I'd just have to add another image tag to the All-Star game page. Most of the work then would be uniform work.

gregseher wrote:I'd be happy to assist in reformatting uniforms into the correct template if it helps with anyone's time constraints.

If there's somewhere you all could help out, I'll make sure to ask. I appreciate the offer.
Austin Snelick
Austin Snelick

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down