The Gridiron Uniform Database Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Union Cup

+2
Curtis
Rob Holecko
6 posters

Go down

The Union Cup Empty The Union Cup

Post  Rob Holecko Tue May 11, 2021 2:49 am

The Union Cup Union_trans

Now that the Division II regular season has ended, the Union Cup was able to start last Wednesday with the First Preliminary Round... (I know we're behind, but we'll get everything caught up in due time.  As long as we're on schedule for the fall to start, we'll be fine.  We're getting everything out as quickly as we can.)

Teams that finished in 11th and 12th places in the four Division II conferences entered the Union Cup in this round.  With Division II bubble play at the neutral sites ending, teams will be playing games at their home stadium.  For the Union Cup, teams are encouraged to provide a home/color (if necessary) and white/road versions of their alternate uniform for this competition.  Also please attach the Union Cup patch (above) on the jersey on the opposite side of your conference patch.  For teams that are hosting, please also provide your home fields in this thread as well.  Feel free to replace your conference decoration with the Union Cup logo.

The games for this round are as follows:

Cheyenne (12th PCC) at Memphis (11th MSC)
Indiana (12th CL) at Boston (11th EA)
Providence (12th EA) at Salt Lake City (11th PCC)
Virginia Beach (12th MSC) at New Orleans (11th CL)

The four winners in the round will advance next week to the Second Preliminary Round where they will join teams that finished in 8th-10th positions in the four Division II conferences.

Again these games (along with the Div. II playoffs) were scheduled for last week, but we'll simulate them as soon as we can, giving people time to get uniforms and fields together and we'll go from there.
Rob Holecko
Rob Holecko

Curtis likes this post

Back to top Go down

The Union Cup Empty Indiana union cup at Boston

Post  Curtis Tue May 11, 2021 7:39 pm

The Union Cup Z_128011
Curtis
Curtis

Rob Holecko and Drew Abernathy like this post

Back to top Go down

The Union Cup Empty Memphis at home vs Cheyenne

Post  Curtis Tue May 11, 2021 7:51 pm

The Union Cup Gridir10
The Union Cup Memphi10
Curtis
Curtis

Rob Holecko and Drew Abernathy like this post

Back to top Go down

The Union Cup Empty Re: The Union Cup

Post  Curtis Tue May 11, 2021 7:55 pm

Curtis wrote:The Union Cup Gridir10
The Union Cup Memphi10

Never had a chance to put Memphis in the updated template, or design a new uni, still looks good though lol.
Curtis
Curtis

Rob Holecko likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  92Mafia Thu May 20, 2021 9:12 am

Union Cup Matches/Bracket

I figured the UC could use a little visualization, so I went and made a round by round schedule as well as a bracket for it! It comes in two different types, depending on if teams draw/choose their opponents, or if they have a predetermined schedule from the start. I also plan to expand it to give a team by team schedule as the cup progresses. I have more to say and more ideas, but I figured the UWFFL guys should check it out before I start talking details. Finally, feel free to give me any suggestions/questions.
92Mafia
92Mafia

Austin Snelick likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Austin Snelick Thu May 20, 2021 10:41 am

92Mafia wrote:Union Cup Matches/Bracket

I figured the UC could use a little visualization, so I went and made a round by round schedule as well as a bracket for it! It comes in two different types, depending on if teams draw/choose their opponents, or if they have a predetermined schedule from the start. I also plan to expand it to give a team by team schedule as the cup progresses. I have more to say and more ideas, but I figured the UWFFL guys should check it out before I start talking details. Finally, feel free to give me any suggestions/questions.

Looking forward to seeing what you've got! (also, did you plan to attach an image to this post?)

Last edited by Austin Snelick on Thu May 20, 2021 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Austin Snelick
Austin Snelick

Back to top Go down

Post  92Mafia Thu May 20, 2021 11:47 am

Austin Snelick wrote:

Looking forward to seeing what you've got! (also, did you plan to attach an image to this post?)

No no the big text is the link hahaha
92Mafia
92Mafia

Back to top Go down

Post  Austin Snelick Thu May 20, 2021 1:38 pm

92Mafia wrote:
Austin Snelick wrote:

No no the big text is the link hahaha

Ah, missed that.

Anyways, awesome stuff! Makes it easier to see who's playing in what when. Lot's going on in the UWFFL.
Austin Snelick
Austin Snelick

92Mafia likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Holecko Thu May 20, 2021 3:20 pm

Very nice, this must be the project you wanted the final standings for.. yep actually that's kind of been (part of) the delay, I've been trying to figure out exactly how the bracket will be filled...   there will be a draw as to which teams go where in the bracket, but I hadn't finalized building it yet, so for that first round I just randomly picked the 12th place teams at the 11th, making sure they were all from different leagues.  But with all the 3rd-10th place teams placed I can go ahead and have the draw for the first few rounds, I just have to make sure I have considered all the consequences before I do.  (if that makes sense)

Yes, I concur, awesome stuff!
Rob Holecko
Rob Holecko

92Mafia likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  92Mafia Fri May 21, 2021 7:21 am

Rob Holecko wrote:Very nice, this must be the project you wanted the final standings for.. yep actually that's kind of been (part of) the delay, I've been trying to figure out exactly how the bracket will be filled...   there will be a draw as to which teams go where in the bracket, but I hadn't finalized building it yet, so for that first round I just randomly picked the 12th place teams at the 11th, making sure they were all from different leagues.  But with all the 3rd-10th place teams placed I can go ahead and have the draw for the first few rounds, I just have to make sure I have considered all the consequences before I do.  (if that makes sense)

Yes, I concur, awesome stuff!

Perfect perfect! I went back through each This Week video and logged every DII team's standings up to third place on the bottom right part of the "Matches" page. I then plugged in each team into the slot where I figured the fairest match could take place (best teams playing worst teams). If you want, also, I can give you editing permission on the document so you can edit this document to your liking.
92Mafia
92Mafia

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Holecko Fri May 21, 2021 9:25 am

Did you check the tiebreakers for place finshing? Head to head should decide all the 2-way ties and then for that 3-way tie in the Central League i need to see if there was one team with a head to head sweep of the other two... but if they all went 1-1 against each other then it's net points.
Rob Holecko
Rob Holecko

92Mafia likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  92Mafia Fri May 21, 2021 10:58 am

Rob Holecko wrote:Did you check the tiebreakers for place finshing?  Head to head should decide all the 2-way ties and then for that 3-way tie in the Central League i need to see if there was one team with a head to head sweep of the other two... but if they all went 1-1 against each other then it's net points.

I did for the 2 way ones, and for the 3 way in the CL I went off of which ones were on the bubble graphic and which had Greenville at 5 and Missouri at 6, then deduced that Raleigh was the lowest one as a result. I'll recheck just to make sure though.
92Mafia
92Mafia

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Holecko Fri May 21, 2021 11:07 am

Oh yea 5-6-7 in MSC are correct.. I was thinking the Central League tie with Duluth etc.

But I'll check them all out and release the official standings... but yours are probably about right
Rob Holecko
Rob Holecko

Back to top Go down

Post  92Mafia Fri May 21, 2021 11:13 am

92Mafia wrote:
Rob Holecko wrote:Did you check the tiebreakers for place finshing?  Head to head should decide all the 2-way ties and then for that 3-way tie in the Central League i need to see if there was one team with a head to head sweep of the other two... but if they all went 1-1 against each other then it's net points.

I did for the 2 way ones, and for the 3 way in the CL I went off of which ones were on the bubble graphic and which had Greenville at 5 and Missouri at 6, then deduced that Raleigh was the lowest one as a result. I'll recheck just to make sure though.

Ok I went back and it goes Greenville, Raleigh, Missouri. Greenville swept both (ep 0.5 and 1.5), while Raleigh beat Missouri (ep 1.5).
92Mafia
92Mafia

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Holecko Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:23 pm

I'd like to thank 92Mafia for the great job he's done in setting up a spreadsheet to keep track of the Union Cup, and UWFFL standings, and ask him if he'd like to take over the Commissioner-ship of this competition.   I've laid out the rounds that the teams will compete in but I just haven't had time to figure out the whole bracket as I've intended to.   I feel 92Mafia has as good a grasp on what the bracket should look like as anybody, and let's face it I've got a lot going on across all phases of the UWFFL.

The results of preliminary round 1 will be released in UWFFL Update Episode 4, so if 92Mafia can reply in this thread and set up the next rounds matches that would be awesome!   Please let me know if you don't mind doing this and any questions you may have.   We will catch these rounds up as quickly as possible.
Rob Holecko
Rob Holecko

Austin Snelick, 92Mafia and sfcom1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  92Mafia Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:18 am

Rob Holecko wrote:I'd like to thank 92Mafia for the great job he's done in setting up a spreadsheet to keep track of the Union Cup, and UWFFL standings,  and ask him if he'd like to take over the Commissioner-ship of this competition.   I've laid out the rounds that the teams will compete in but I just haven't had time to figure out the whole bracket as I've intended to.   I feel 92Mafia has as good a grasp on what the bracket should look like as anybody, and let's face it I've got a lot going on across all phases of the UWFFL.

The results of preliminary round 1 will be released in UWFFL Update Episode 4, so if 92Mafia can reply in this thread and set up the next rounds matches that would be awesome!   Please let me know if you don't mind doing this and any questions you may have.   We will catch these rounds up as quickly as possible.

I gladly accept the role of Union Cup Commissioner, and am honored that you've allowed me to run this! I'll still make sure to let you all know about what I'm doing and how I'm setting up these matches. That being said, let me announce the first 4 rounds of the Union Cup!

Preliminary Round 1:
The results of these games will be announced in UWFLL Update Episode 4, however I think we could all use a little recap on the matchups.

Game 1: Cheyenne Shock (12th PCC, Unowned) @ Memphis Golden Hawks (11th Metro, Curtis)
Game 2: Indiana Lynx (12th CL, Curtis) @ Boston Stars (11th EA, Unowned)
Game 3: Providence Steamroller (12th EA, Rob Holecko) @ Salt Lake City Spikes (11th PCC, Rob/Unowned)
Game 4: Virginia Beach Truckers (12th Metro, Drew Abernathy) @ New Orleans Lions (11th CL, Rob Holecko)

Preliminary Round 2:
This round involves the 8th, 9th, and 10th place teams from each DII league. The 8th place teams would host the winners of Round 1, while the 9th and 10th place teams play eachother. For  seeding I chose to have the 8th place team be not of either league involved in the Round 1 matches (Ex: Memphis and Cheyenne wouldn't play a team from the CL or PCC) in next round. Next, for the 10th place team, the placement would be whichever available league wasn't chosen for 8th place (Ex: Montreal is chosen to play Game 4 winner, meaning an EL team can't be in 10 because it was already chosen for the 8th place team, while a CL and Metro South league can't be chosen because they're represented in Round 1 with New Orleans and Virginia). I then had to find the "best" 8th place team, which was Montreal because they are the only team that have an owner (Rafael). Next, I chose whichever of the available teams had the worst record (My OC Surf) and put them in the same "group" as the "best" 8th place team. Finally, I chose the 9th place teams to correspond with the bracket of their league's 12th place team (Ex: Carolina with Virginia Beach), so that unless there's an upset, all 4 leagues would have 1 representative per league. I know it's complicated, but in short, I tried to make it so that teams of the same DII League wouldn't play eachother.

Game 1: Round 1 Game 1 Winner (Cheyenne Vs. Memphis) @ San Antonio Black Knights (8th CL, Unowned)
Game 2: Brooklyn Marines (10th EL, Brady Ivie) @ Portland Gamblers (9th PCC, Curtis)
Game 3: Round 1 Game 2 Winner (Indiana Vs. Boston) @ Colorado Rockies (8th PCC, Unowned)
Game 4: Jacksonville Rhinos (10th Metro, Rob/Unowned) @ Wichita Arrows (9th CL, Curtis)
Game 5: Round 1 Game 3 Winner (Providence Vs. Salt Lake City) @ Charlotte Swords (8th Metro, AJ/Available)
Game 6: Houston Quasars (10th CL, Drew Abernathy) @ Harrisburg Bulldogs (9th EA, Unowned)
Game 7: Round 1 Game 4 Winner (Virginia Beach Vs. New Orleans) @ Montreal Machine (8th EA, Rafael Menoncin)
Game 8: Orange County Surf (10th PCC, AJ) @ Carolina Krescents (9th Metro, Unowned)

Preliminary Round 3:
The easiest one to explain so far, the winners of each game play eachother in a classic tournament style. The higher seed receives home field advantage.

Game 1: R2 Game 1 Winner Vs. R2 Game 2 Winner
Game 2: R2 Game 3 Winner Vs. R2 Game 4 Winner
Game 3: R2 Game 5 Winner Vs. R2 Game 6 Winner
Game 4: R2 Game 7 Winner Vs. R2 Game 8 Winner

Preliminary Round 4:
Following the easiest to explain round comes one of the hardest. This round incorporates all of the 6th and 7th place DII teams, along with the two 5th place teams with the worst records out of the 4. All of the 5th and 6th place teams have home field advantage, along with the top 7th place team. Their matches are then determined by strength of opponent (Better teams play weaker opponents).

Game 1: R3 Game 1 Winner @ Raleigh Aeronauts (6th Metro - Best Record, Rafael Menoncin)
Game 2: Winnipeg Winterhawks (7th CL - 2nd Best, Rafael Menoncin) @ Missouri Magnetic (7th Metro - Best, Curtis)
Game 3: R3 Game 2 Winner @ Sacramento Scorpions (5th PCC - 3rd Best, Mike Johnson/Unowned)
Game 4: Toledo Snipers (7th EA - Worst, Curtis) @ Seattle Kings (6th PCC - 3rd Best, Rob Holecko)
Game 5: R3 Game 3 Winner @ Duluth Frost Dragons (5th CL - Worst, Rob Holecko)
Game 6: Calgary Alpines (7th PCC - 3rd Best, Snelick Ownership) @ Cleveland Bearcats (6th EA - Worst)
Game 7: R4 Game 4 Winner @ St. Louis Slaughter (6th CL - 2nd Best, AJ)

And so that wraps up the first four rounds of the Union Cup! Click here for the full Union Cup bracket graphic. I'll be setting up threads for uniforms and other background things as they come up. If anyone has a question feel free to ask me or Rob.
92Mafia
92Mafia

Rob Holecko, Austin Snelick and Patrick Davis like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Holecko Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:40 am

Thank you sir .... Great write-up, I wasn't expecting all that so quickly .... I think I picked the right guy for the job!

Now I just need to delegate the Maple Leaf Cup to Mr. Canada, Curtis, and we'll be all set!
Rob Holecko
Rob Holecko

92Mafia likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Patrick Davis Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:49 am

I see the big bracket (wow, very big), but is there a schedule when these games will be played?

Looks like Youngstown is way near the end, but that makes us closer to a Union cup title!
Patrick Davis
Patrick Davis

92Mafia likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Holecko Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:53 am

Patrick Davis wrote:I see the big bracket (wow, very big), but is there a schedule when these games will be played?

Looks like Youngstown is way near the end, but that makes us closer to a Union cup title!

There isn't a set schedule at the moment, we're so far behind just gong to try to catch up to the original schedule by doing each round as quickly as possible.
Rob Holecko
Rob Holecko

Back to top Go down

Post  Drew Abernathy Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:02 pm

The Union Cup Va_bea10
The Union Cup Va_bea11
Drew Abernathy
Drew Abernathy

Rob Holecko and 92Mafia like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Drew Abernathy Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:02 pm

The Truckers Union Cup togs. I know it's a bit late
Drew Abernathy
Drew Abernathy

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Holecko Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:53 pm

Alexi, please confirm the next round matchups in the document, there was a discrepancy between which game winner plays who...  I inputted it based on the bracket graphic, but on the other tab you had different game winners playing (I think) Duluth and Sacramento.

Feel free to change as necessary.

Thanks
Rob Holecko
Rob Holecko

Back to top Go down

Post  92Mafia Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:21 pm

Rob Holecko wrote:Alexi, please confirm the next round matchups in the document, there was a discrepancy between which game winner plays who...  I inputted it based on the bracket graphic, but on the other tab you had different game winners playing (I think) Duluth and Sacramento.

Feel free to change as necessary.

Thanks

Those are the correct matchups, thanks for the heads up!
92Mafia
92Mafia

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down