The Gridiron Uniform Database Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GSL team history

5 posters

Go down

GSL team history Empty GSL team history

Post  CarterB2 Tue May 23, 2023 6:10 pm

So after I saw the Salt Lake Trappers' throwback logo and the story behind it I wanted to make my own story behind the CityHawks franchise, and hopefully other franchises. I know it is almost playoff time and this seems like a pointless thing to participate in but I really wanna know what the history would look like if these teams were real. It would be very much appreciated if you participated in this little project of mine, not participating would be totally fine with me. This is also serving as a potential option for throwback uniforms in the future, as might make a Hartford Spears throwback uniform if this idea works.

I shall start.

GSL team history Newyor11

Side note:
I am sorry if I keep talking, I really love this community and love to be part of it. Also, I am a very quiet guy in real life and just wanna express my interests on this forum.
CarterB2
CarterB2

Austin Snelick, NeauXone and Appleman20 like this post

Back to top Go down

GSL team history Empty Re: GSL team history

Post  Austin Snelick Wed May 24, 2023 7:36 am

I have some "real" history behind the original 6 teams (Outlaws, Breakers, Express, Royals, Brewers, Stars), but that might take me a long time to collect, as these teams are a part of somewhere around 135 seasons of simulations I did between elementary and up into high school. Later electronically, when I wrote a football simulation program in college, that became a senior project for me there. Creating the field designs for that program got me into doing the Super Bowl fields, which I eventually started posting on SportsLogos.net here: https://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/98529-super-bowl-field-database-super-bowl-lvii/#comments

From there, Rob Holecko, who was the main backend web guy for the GUD asked me if the fields could be added to the GUD, and from there, we put together the Gridiron Fields Database. Later, as a grad school project, I re-wrote the backend of the GUD, and took over the web admin responsibilities. The GSL came about as a way to pay for the site, after some financial issues we were having with google ads banning us for some reason. And here we are, a simulation league with 32 teams, and at least for this season, 32 different team owners.

So that's more of a brief league history, but I've got a few notebooks full of simulated football seasons (all done with either dice for regular season games, or a deck of cards for full game simulations in the playoffs).
Austin Snelick
Austin Snelick

Appleman20, ICRMON and CarterB2 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Appleman20 Wed May 24, 2023 7:13 pm

Hello there. This took me a while to make it, but here you go, the history of the Birmingham Owls. Not the best writer in the world, but I did my best. I hope yall enjoy it.
GSL team history Birmin14
GSL team history Birmin15
Appleman20
Appleman20

Austin Snelick, Appleman20 and CarterB2 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  CarterB2 Wed May 24, 2023 8:58 pm

Appleman20 wrote:Hello there. This took me a while to make it, but here you go, the history of the Birmingham Owls. Not the best writer in the world, but I did my best. I hope yall enjoy it.

Heck yeah, love it! This is better than mine! Also I brought some visuals into play here, this is the Hartford Spears helmet. (Yes, that is the old Washington helmet)

GSL team history Hartfo10

CarterB2
CarterB2

Appleman20 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  CanadianBacon43 Wed May 24, 2023 9:03 pm

The Aliens history:

For the people who’ve been following the CBFL, after season 2 my original  plan was to double the CBFL in size from 6 teams to 12. the 6 expansion teams  would have been placed in Atlanta, Edmonton, Long Island, Omaha, Tampa Bay, Washington DC to join Chattanooga, Columbus, Dallas, Los Angeles (now New Orleans), Providence, and Sacramento. This never ended up occurring but I have designs for most of if not all of these teams.

The Atlanta team was going to be named the Skyhawks and had a red and teal colour scheme (I actually have team designs but they’re VERY rusty as they were done on paint instead of Canva). The name Atlanta Skyhawks came from a USFL alternate history I was working on where the Raleigh Skyhawks (from the WLAF) moved to Atlanta and would develop one of the league’s best rivalries with the Cleveland Hounds (a team that would have capitalized off the Browns relocation to Baltimore).

When the opportunity to own a GSL team that I could make my way came up I took the opportunity. Since the GSL would lose the Atlanta market I figured Austin would prefer if I stayed in Atlanta which the Aliens did. I had to change the colour scheme because our fierce rivals the Carolina Reapers wore all red at the time I took over the GSL Atlanta team. I also wanted to have a more local name to the team than Skyhawks and I went with Aliens after the Outkast album ATLiens.
CanadianBacon43
CanadianBacon43

Back to top Go down

Post  CarterB2 Wed May 24, 2023 10:07 pm

Appleman20 wrote:Hello there. This took me a while to make it, but here you go, the history of the Birmingham Owls. Not the best writer in the world, but I did my best. I hope yall enjoy it.

Quick question, are you going to make the Birmingham Bears uniforms a thing in 2024? If so or if not I would love to see what they look like.
CarterB2
CarterB2

Back to top Go down

Post  CarterB2 Wed May 24, 2023 10:09 pm

CanadianBacon43 wrote:The Aliens history:

For the people who’ve been following the CBFL, after season 2 my original  plan was to double the CBFL in size from 6 teams to 12. the 6 expansion teams  would have been placed in Atlanta, Edmonton, Long Island, Omaha, Tampa Bay, Washington DC to join Chattanooga, Columbus, Dallas, Los Angeles (now New Orleans), Providence, and Sacramento. This never ended up occurring but I have designs for most of if not all of these teams.

The Atlanta team was going to be named the Skyhawks and had a red and teal colour scheme (I actually have team designs but they’re VERY rusty as they were done on paint instead of Canva). The name Atlanta Skyhawks came from a USFL alternate history I was working on where the Raleigh Skyhawks (from the WLAF) moved to Atlanta and would develop one of the league’s best rivalries with the Cleveland Hounds (a team that would have capitalized off the Browns relocation to Baltimore).

When the opportunity to own a GSL team that I could make my way came up I took the opportunity. Since the GSL would lose the Atlanta market I figured Austin would prefer if I stayed in Atlanta which the Aliens did. I had to change the colour scheme because our fierce rivals the Carolina Reapers wore all red at the time I took over the GSL Atlanta team. I also wanted to have a more local name to the team than Skyhawks and I went with Aliens after the Outkast album ATLiens.

I like where the name came from, and the backstory of the Aliens franchise. Also I like how they would have been named the Skyhawks, I like that name and the color scheme. (Maybe I'm bias because...ya know my team is named the "CityHawks".)

Last edited by CarterB2 on Wed May 24, 2023 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
CarterB2
CarterB2

CanadianBacon43 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Appleman20 Wed May 24, 2023 10:44 pm

CarterB2 wrote:

Quick question, are you going to make the Birmingham Bears uniforms a thing in 2024? If so or if not I would love to see what they look like.

Yea, I am planning to make the retro uniforms for 2024.
Appleman20
Appleman20

Appleman20 and CarterB2 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  CanadianBacon43 Mon May 29, 2023 10:49 am

This is what the Skyhawk road uniforms (which will return in the new template next season) would have looked like

GSL team history Atlant20
CanadianBacon43
CanadianBacon43

Back to top Go down

Post  CarterB2 Mon May 29, 2023 11:21 am

CanadianBacon43 wrote:This is what the Skyhawk road uniforms (which will return in the new template next season) would have looked like

GSL team history Atlant20

I have always been a huge fan of drop shadows for some reason, the cyan and deep red look with the drop shadow looks fantastic!
CarterB2
CarterB2

Back to top Go down

Post  sfcom1 Mon May 29, 2023 12:27 pm

I was thinking about one for the SOL as well. As for me. I started over on sportslogos.net doing several of the Super Bowl fields as well. Met Austin on line and helped create the current field template in use today. Austin has updated it a lot from our original profile. And I will continue to use the resources I have being a HS and Juco Football referee to make our GSL and GUD templates the best possible.
sfcom1
sfcom1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down