The Gridiron Uniform Database Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Off Topic: Spring leagues

+5
Appleman20
Austin Snelick
Frank
CarterB2
Rafael Menoncin
9 posters

Go down

Off Topic: Spring leagues  Empty Off Topic: Spring leagues

Post  Rafael Menoncin Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:42 pm

During the last three weeks, I've watched some games in both the USFL and XFL. It's kind of interesting to see them go head-to-head; maybe those were the most football-filled spring weekends since 1985?

One question that everyone would like to answer is, "Who's better, the USFL or the XFL?

It's a tough question to answer, as both have their highs and lows.

In terms of GameDay atmosphere, the XFL has a huge advantage; playing in the actual cities is a big deal, especially in Washington and St. Louis, places where the fans are doing an amazing job; the Ka Haw chants and especially the DC "Beer Snake" are already iconic classics.

On the other hand, the XFL on-field product was below my expectations; most of the games have been low-scoring with poor offenses down the field; also, the gimmicky rules such as the extra point and the kickoff are making the league look like something of an amatour; teams like the San Antonio Brahmas, Orlando Guardians, and Arlington Renegades have the most awful or boring offenses I've ever seen; the presentation of itself is also something I didn't like; games at Cashman Field (the worst pro football I've ever seen; that place made the Oakland Coliseum look like a palace); and the majority of the games being broadcast on cable are also low points.

Meanwhile, in the USFL, having the teams play in four different cities is a huge improvement from last year's "all Birmingham" model; the crowds in Memphis and Detroit are doing well, and the Canton-based teams also had an okay attendance during last week's game. The fact that Tom Benson Stadium is not so far from Pittsburgh may help the Maullers get some attendance from nearby fans; I saw a lot of Steelers jerseys on the stands last week.

In my opinion (as a couch football fan), the highest point of the USFL is the quality of the game. The USFL has been filled with close and high-scoring games, and defenses such as the Michigan Panthers or the Pittsburgh Maullers are fun to watch. The offenses are also great; quarterbacks such as Case Cookus and McLeod Bethel-Thompson are exciting to watch, and the RBs like Darrius Victor are also remarkable. In terms of game quality and presentation, the USFL is way ahead of the XFL. Fox is doing an amazing job promoting the players and the teams; I actually already recognize a few of them.

For me, the USFL is a step ahead; the games are way more entertaining, and the play level is also better. Yesterday's Houston-Memphis game was great; they look like a real pro league. I'm also rooting for both leagues to succeed; more football is better for us!
Rafael Menoncin
Rafael Menoncin

Appleman20 and CarterB2 like this post

Back to top Go down

Off Topic: Spring leagues  Empty Re: Off Topic: Spring leagues

Post  CarterB2 Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:12 pm

The XFL needs more time to develop, all leagues are rusty in their inaugural season (well first in a while for the XFL), but after their first season it gets better, just like the APFA (now NFL) they had a rough first 10 seasons or so then became this juggernaut in the sporting world. So it takes time.

The USFL on the other hand is in its 2nd season (in a row) and is already doing great, just like you mentioned the only thing left they have to do in the next couple of years is to get teams to play in their home stadium instead of some random stadium across the country.

Let's put the differences aside, they are both spring leagues and we need football year-round. This might be a stretch but I want more spring leagues, maybe a revival of the WFL or AAF, at least the AFL is coming back.
CarterB2
CarterB2

Appleman20 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Mon May 01, 2023 10:37 am

I found the USFL fun to watch last season, and the XFL to be a fun watch this season. XFL does need to take some time to rethink how they will do the playoffs though. With two divisions, a scenario like the one they had this season was bound to happen at some point. For a 10 game schedule, and two 4 team divisions, the best that can be done IMO, is to give the division champions home games, then make the remaining two spots wild card spots, from either division.

One issue I've had with spring leagues is watching the games. With only the basic channels (no ESPN, FS1, etc) I can only watch national telecasts from ABC, FOX, NBC. So I didn't get the chance to watch much XFL this season. The USFL does have a lot more big network games that I can watch, including peacock streaming, and I think that helps the USFL a lot.
Frank
Frank

CarterB2 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Austin Snelick Mon May 01, 2023 11:06 am

Both leagues have been fun to watch. I haven't watched as many games this season as the last two for the XFL/USFL.
I did finally get out to a game in DC yesterday, and I can say, it was a ton of fun. For the XFL, it certainly is better for the in person experience when you can watch your home team in an actual home stadium. I know the USFL is headed that way, and I think it will be better for them once all of their teams are playing in their own home stadium.
Austin Snelick
Austin Snelick

Back to top Go down

Post  Appleman20 Mon May 01, 2023 8:57 pm

Austin Snelick wrote:Both leagues have been fun to watch. I haven't watched as many games this season as the last two for the XFL/USFL.
I did finally get out to a game in DC yesterday, and I can say, it was a ton of fun. For the XFL, it certainly is better for the in person experience when you can watch your home team in an actual home stadium. I know the USFL is headed that way, and I think it will be better for them once all of their teams are playing in their own home stadium.
How was the game? I'm so happy that DC won. Sadly my Birmingham Stallions lost the game I went to, but we will bounce back next week. But at least my DC Defenders are heading to the championship.
Appleman20
Appleman20

Back to top Go down

Post  Austin Snelick Tue May 02, 2023 4:43 am

Appleman20 wrote:
Austin Snelick wrote:Both leagues have been fun to watch. I haven't watched as many games this season as the last two for the XFL/USFL.
How was the game? I'm so happy that DC won. Sadly my Birmingham Stallions lost the game I went to, but we will bounce back next week. But at least my DC Defenders are heading to the championship.

It was a ton of fun. Got lucky with the rain; stopped before the game started. It was good to see a lot of scoring and DC dominate the second half. I'd definitely go back to a game next year. Problem for me is it's a little bit of a hike to get into the city, so I've only been interested in going to the afternoon games, plus parking is tough down in that area, especially if the Nats are playing the same day.
Austin Snelick
Austin Snelick

sfcom1 and Appleman20 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Appleman20 Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:40 pm

These are my top 5 favorite uniforms from both the USFL and XFL.
1. Off Topic: Spring leagues  2023_b10
2. Off Topic: Spring leagues  2023_d10
3. Off Topic: Spring leagues  2023_m10
4. Off Topic: Spring leagues  2023_s10
5. Off Topic: Spring leagues  2022_n10
Appleman20
Appleman20

sfcom1, Curtis, Appleman20, Frank and CarterB2 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:26 pm

Birmingham is my top as well. Solid both home and away. New Orleans home jerseys are good as well.
Overall, I'm much more of a fan of the XFL uniforms. Some of the sublimation and patterns were a bit much, but Seattle's was great in my book:

Off Topic: Spring leagues  2023_SSD_H1

Off Topic: Spring leagues  Joshgordon_seattle_seadragons_2023_usatoday
Frank
Frank

Appleman20 and ncsinger like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Appleman20 Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:42 pm

Frank wrote:Birmingham is my top as well. Solid both home and away. New Orleans home jerseys are good as well.
Overall, I'm much more of a fan of the XFL uniforms. Some of the sublimation and patterns were a bit much, but Seattle's was great in my book:

Off Topic: Spring leagues  2023_SSD_H1

Off Topic: Spring leagues  Joshgordon_seattle_seadragons_2023_usatoday

The only thing I liked from Seattle was the all-white uniforms they wore vs Orlando. I can't get past the orange. I like Seattle's 2020 uniforms. But overall, I think both leagues did well with their uniforms. Now, I tend to like the USFL's uniforms more than the XFL's because some of the uniforms of the XFL weren't consistent (looking at San Antonio's away uniforms). I do like the basic uniforms from the USFL. Not over the top, but still good.
Appleman20
Appleman20

Back to top Go down

Post  Rafael Menoncin Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:23 pm

Here are my picks!

Off Topic: Spring leagues  2023_m11

Off Topic: Spring leagues  2023_m12

Off Topic: Spring leagues  2023_s10

Off Topic: Spring leagues  2023_h10

Off Topic: Spring leagues  2023_s11
Rafael Menoncin
Rafael Menoncin

Austin Snelick and Appleman20 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  CanadianBacon43 Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:22 pm

My top 3 looks in each league

XFL
1. DC Home
2. Seattle Home
3: Orlando Road

USFL
1: New Jersey Home
2: Philadelphia Road
Tie 3: New Orleans Home
Tie 3: Pittsburgh Road
CanadianBacon43
CanadianBacon43

Back to top Go down

Post  Rafael Menoncin Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:45 pm

Anyone watched the USFL north division championship game?

That was amazing, this league deserves more love, they just need to put all the teams in their actual cities and boom, primetime product!
Rafael Menoncin
Rafael Menoncin

Back to top Go down

Post  Appleman20 Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:48 pm

Rafael Menoncin wrote:Anyone watched the USFL north division championship game?

That was amazing, this league deserves more love, they just need to put all the teams in their actual cities and boom, primetime product!

I did. That was a great game. I am going to the South Division Championship game tomorrow. Let's go Stallions.
Appleman20
Appleman20

Back to top Go down

Post  Appleman20 Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:03 am

The Birmingham game was fantastic last night. It was fun beating up the Breakers. Let's get two rings now. Giddy Up.
Off Topic: Spring leagues  20230610
Off Topic: Spring leagues  20230611
Off Topic: Spring leagues  20230612
Off Topic: Spring leagues  20230613
Appleman20
Appleman20

Austin Snelick, Rafael Menoncin, Appleman20 and CarterB2 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Appleman20 Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:14 am

Breaking News:
The XFL is merging with the USFL.
There are sources saying both leagues are in talks about merging
This is huge on Spring Football fans.
Appleman20
Appleman20

Back to top Go down

Post  Austin Snelick Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:47 pm

Appleman20 wrote:Breaking News:

Would be great if the merge kept 8 teams in each league. Would love to see that joint championship game.
As long as the Defenders are still in town though, I'll be happy.
Austin Snelick
Austin Snelick

Back to top Go down

Post  CanadianBacon43 Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:55 pm

Austin Snelick wrote:
Appleman20 wrote:Breaking News:

Would be great if the merge kept 8 teams in each league. Would love to see that joint championship game.
As long as the Defenders are still in town though, I'll be happy.

I have a feeling that the XFL is going to absorb the 4 USFL teams with stadiums: Panthers, Showboats, Stallions, and one of the Canton teams (Generals or Maulers). I also think the Vipers move to Nashville over Arizona as those rumours suggest.
CanadianBacon43
CanadianBacon43

Back to top Go down

Post  Rafael Menoncin Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:49 pm

As far as I know from rumors, nothing official:

- The Gamblers will be the Houston team and will play at Rice Stadium. The Roughnecks brand is likely to be discontinued.

- Memphis, Birmingham, and Canton (Generals, Stars, or Maullers) are locks from the USFL side.

- Detroit is in talks for renewing the Ford Field lease, likely to have the Panthers back in 2024

- The Vegas Vipers are likely to be cut from the league.

- DC, Arlington, San Antonio, and St. Louis are locks from the XFL side.

- Some USFL teams, such as the Breakers and the Philadelphia Stars, signed players this week.

- The XFL showcases are still scheduled.
Rafael Menoncin
Rafael Menoncin

Back to top Go down

Post  Appleman20 Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:26 pm

There is some exciting stuff here.
I'm guessing the merge won't officially happen until 2025, and both leagues will play separately in 2024. But I am hoping the new name is NSFL or TSL. USXFL doesn't sound right or even make sense.
Appleman20
Appleman20

Back to top Go down

Post  CanadianBacon43 Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:35 pm

Fox owns the NSFL name therefore that could end up being the merged league’s name.

Following the rumours I now believe that 6 teams from each league will be part of the merger:

XFL: Arlington, DC, Orlando, San Antonio, Seattle, St Louis
USFL: Birmingham, Houston, Memphis, Michigan, New Orleans, and Philadelphia who will be the Canton team (even though I’d love for them to play in Philly at the MLS Stadium, the University of Pennsylvania’s stadium, or even Villanova’s stadium if 12k capacity works for the league)
CanadianBacon43
CanadianBacon43

CarterB2 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Rafael Menoncin Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:59 pm

Some updates:

-Twelve teams would survive, with each league contributing with 6 franchises

- Six hubs, USFL-style, rather than teams’ home cities.. latest Detroit, Canton, St. Louis are among the six locales under consideration..

Personal opinion: The USFL hub system is awful and hurts the teams and league presentation. I hope they find a way to send all the teams to their local markets,

In my opinion (not based on rumors or sources), if they won't be able to find home to their franchises, they should adopt a different strategy, something similar to the NBA/NHL bubble during the lockdown year, huge LED displays around the playing surface showing fans or whatever they want, anything is better than a giant wall of empty seats
Rafael Menoncin
Rafael Menoncin

Back to top Go down

Post  CanadianBacon43 Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:43 am

Off Topic: Spring leagues  Img_3810

There’s also an alleged rumour that new cities will be in play to host teams. I like the idea of more big non NFL markets such as Louisville hosting a team in this league.
CanadianBacon43
CanadianBacon43

CarterB2 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Appleman20 Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:19 am

BREAKING NEWS:
ITS HAPPENING BOYS. THE USFL AND XFL ARE OFFICIALLY MERGEING. I got an email saying about the merge, and the USFL and XFL posted about the merge as well.
Appleman20
Appleman20

Back to top Go down

Post  Rafael Menoncin Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:33 pm

Just saw this post on Twitter:

"DEVELOPING: Multiple sources have indicated that there is a strong possibility that all eight #USFL teams will survive the USFL-XFL merger.

A 12 team league could feature just four #XFL teams. STL, DC, SA, & Arlington would be the likeliest organizations to survive."

I wonder if they will re-brand the San Antonio Brahmas to the USFL San Antonio Gunslingers name...
Rafael Menoncin
Rafael Menoncin

Back to top Go down

Post  CanadianBacon43 Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:52 pm

Rafael Menoncin wrote:Just saw this post on Twitter:

"DEVELOPING: Multiple sources have indicated that there is a strong possibility that all eight #USFL teams will survive the USFL-XFL merger.

A 12 team league could feature just four #XFL teams. STL, DC, SA, & Arlington would be the likeliest organizations to survive."

I wonder if they will re-brand the San Antonio Brahmas to the USFL San Antonio Gunslingers name...

There’s an IFL team called the San Antonio Gunslingers therefore I think they’ll stick to Brahmas unless they work out a deal with the current Gunslingers.
CanadianBacon43
CanadianBacon43

Back to top Go down

Post  Austin Snelick Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:49 am

Rafael Menoncin wrote:Just saw this post on Twitter:

I'm all for a 12 team league, especially if DC survives.
With 12 teams, I wonder how that affects scheduling. With 8 teams, 10 games is an easy formula (home and away series in division, then play the other 4 teams).
With 12, would there be 3 divisions of 4 teams, and a 10 game schedule, rotating which division each other division plays each year?
Would there be two 6 team divisions, and 14 games?
Maybe 14 games with three 4 team divisions.

For a spring league of 12 teams, I think the 10 game schedule with 3 divisions of 4 teams works out well.
If they want to stick with half the teams making the playoffs, then you could have the three division winners with a playoff spot, then the next best three teams get the wild card spots. The top two seeds get a bye.
Austin Snelick
Austin Snelick

Back to top Go down

Post  Appleman20 Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:25 am

The official UFL schedule
Off Topic: Spring leagues  Gfk1xl10
Appleman20
Appleman20

Austin Snelick, Rafael Menoncin, Appleman20 and CarterB2 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Rafael Menoncin Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:00 am

Appleman20 wrote:The official UFL schedule

Lets Go Showboats! 🚢🚢🚢
Rafael Menoncin
Rafael Menoncin

Back to top Go down

Post  Appleman20 Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:05 am

Rafael Menoncin wrote:

Lets Go Showboats! 🚢🚢🚢

You mean Lets Go Stallions Off Topic: Spring leagues  1f40e Off Topic: Spring leagues  1f40e
Appleman20
Appleman20

Back to top Go down

Post  sfcom1 Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:45 pm

Appleman20 wrote:
Rafael Menoncin wrote:

Lets Go Showboats! 🚢🚢🚢

You mean Lets Go Stallions  Off Topic: Spring leagues  1f40e  Off Topic: Spring leagues  1f40e

You mean Let's Go Panthers! (Still the only pro football team representing Detroit to have won a Championship since 1956.)
sfcom1
sfcom1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sevster Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:51 am

The GSL is the best spring league, what are you guys talking about?

Sevster

NeauXone, sfcom1, Appleman20, CanadianBacon43 and CarterB2 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Appleman20 Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:55 pm

This is my concept art of what I would love the Stallions football field to be like for the UFL. Would we get this? Probably not.
Off Topic: Spring leagues  Birsta10
Appleman20
Appleman20

Back to top Go down

Post  darkwingalex Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:58 pm

Appleman20 wrote:This is my concept art of what I would love the Stallions football field to be like for the UFL. Would we get this? Probably not.
Off Topic: Spring leagues  Birsta10

The design you've got for the Stallions' endzones reminds me of that the Rams used to have in St. Louis during the Greatest Show on Turf era.
Off Topic: Spring leagues  STL_2000-2001%5E2

darkwingalex

Back to top Go down

Post  Austin Snelick Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:50 pm

I'm hoping the UFL follows more closely the AAF field model, by having team designs in the endzones and at midfield.
Austin Snelick
Austin Snelick

Back to top Go down

Post  Appleman20 Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:59 pm

Austin Snelick wrote:I'm hoping the UFL follows more closely the AAF field model, by having team designs in the endzones and at midfield.

I'm hoping for that as well. I want to see how each team would design its field. I did see information about the field in the rule book, and I did see a sentence about how big the logo can be at midfield. Endzones will probably be what the XFL did.
Appleman20
Appleman20

CarterB2 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Rafael Menoncin Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:05 pm

Austin Snelick wrote:I'm hoping the UFL follows more closely the AAF field model, by having team designs in the endzones and at midfield.

According to the ticket website we can expect something closer to this, reminded me of the 2001 XFL anyway, much better than plain green endzones

Off Topic: Spring leagues  2024-a10
Off Topic: Spring leagues  Memphi10
Rafael Menoncin
Rafael Menoncin

Back to top Go down

Post  Appleman20 Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:12 pm

Rafael Menoncin wrote:

According to the ticket website we can expect something closer to this, reminded me of the 2001 XFL anyway, much better than plain green endzones

Off Topic: Spring leagues  2024-a10
Off Topic: Spring leagues  Memphi10

I think that's a placeholder just for tickets. I remember XFL 2023 tickets had the same thing, but as you saw, the fields were different. I'm guessing the UFL logo at midfield and the team's name in the endzone.
Appleman20
Appleman20

Austin Snelick and CarterB2 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Austin Snelick Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:50 am

Happy UFL Kickoff Day!
Austin Snelick
Austin Snelick

Back to top Go down

Post  Appleman20 Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:04 am

Austin Snelick wrote:Happy UFL Kickoff Day!

Yes sir. Giddy Up
Appleman20
Appleman20

Back to top Go down

Post  Appleman20 Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:53 pm

I love this team. Giddy Up. 1-0. And the USFL is 2-0 against the XFL
Off Topic: Spring leagues  Gj8afa10

Appleman20
Appleman20

Back to top Go down

Post  Rafael Menoncin Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:22 pm

The Houston Roughnecks endzones are perfection!
Off Topic: Spring leagues  Gj2lus10
Rafael Menoncin
Rafael Menoncin

Back to top Go down

Post  Appleman20 Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:29 am

Rafael Menoncin wrote:The Houston Roughnecks endzones are perfection!
Off Topic: Spring leagues  Gj2lus10

They forgot about the rice logo at midfield. Off Topic: Spring leagues  1f62d Off Topic: Spring leagues  1f62d Off Topic: Spring leagues  1f62d
Appleman20
Appleman20

Back to top Go down

Post  Appleman20 Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:25 pm

The Birmingham vs DC game was so awesome. I had an awesome time in the rain watching my favorite USFL team vs My favorite XFL team. Im happy the Stallions won and stand along in the USFL conference. 4-0.
Off Topic: Spring leagues  20240411
Off Topic: Spring leagues  20240410
Off Topic: Spring leagues  20240412
Appleman20
Appleman20

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down