The Gridiron Uniform Database Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1960 Steelers white jerseys.

2 posters

Go down

1960 Steelers white jerseys. Empty 1960 Steelers white jerseys.

Post  bigbluelarry Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:28 am

Hi guys. I just picked up a magnificent book - "Guts and Glory" by photographer Neil Leifer. Just browsing through it now, and I noticed a great color picture of the Steelers playing the Giants at Yankee Stadium on 11/13/60 (pg #29). Bobby Layne and a number of his linemen are wearing white jerseys that have no yellow on them, and the collars are black. The numbers and NW sleeve stripes are plain black. This is contrary to the database which shows the yellow highlights to the black numbers and stripes.

If you like, I'll scan and forward to you. This is an excellent book - almost 300 pages of football history (starting in 1958) in photos, and should be a great resource for your project.

I'll let you know what else of interest I find.

Larry Schmitt

Last edited by bigbluelarry on Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigbluelarry
bigbluelarry

Back to top Go down

1960 Steelers white jerseys. Empty Re: 1960 Steelers white jerseys.

Post  bigbluelarry Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:37 am

Just as an FYI - all the photos are specifically dated and seem to be accurate.

Just a couple of general observations as I flip through...there are good, close-up photos of the Bills early 70's jerseys with the sleeve stripes in detail, they really botched the throw back job 2 years ago. The Chargers shoulder bolts in the early 70's are inconsistent - many shots of players with the bolts going both in and out in the same game!
bigbluelarry
bigbluelarry

Back to top Go down

Post  Bill Schaefer Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:40 pm

Hey BBL!
By chance, any good view of the number fonts? I ask b/c Tim's research said the Steelers white jerseys of 1959 were the same as the database 1960 version aside from 2 things.
A) 1959 lacked yellow as you describe.
B) The 1959 font was a thinner version of the "LA RAMS blocked serif" font. It may be a case of 'off by 1 year' especially since, pre-merger, the Giants and Steelers played twice each year.
Just a thought.
I'm sure Tim would love to see a scan of the photo, too!
Bill Schaefer
Bill Schaefer

Back to top Go down

Post  bigbluelarry Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:26 am

Know what's interesting? In the photo against the Giants, the number font on the Steelers white jerseys are the large, thin, rounded font (similar to the Bears, but larger). On the very next page there is another picture of Bobby Lane from '60 with the Steelers wearing their black jerseys and the numbers are a standard block font.

I'll scan both with dates and send them to you tomorrow (don't have the book with me today.)
bigbluelarry
bigbluelarry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down